Wednesday 1 June 2011

23rd May - Finding the start point.


I’ve made an active choice not to blog at weekends though that doesn’t mean there will be no business-related activity going on. Anyone who has started a business will tell you that Monday to Friday 9-5 are just a distant dream.

Very few businesses start with a ‘Eureka’ moment; there is generally a period of months, years and possibly even decades of thoughts, wondering and mental ping-pong before things start to happen. I can’t say for certain where this particular journey began but, for convenience I will start on my return from America following a (predictably) disastrous relationship.

I was lucky to be offered a contract in my established industry which was likely to last up to a year, but also wanted to be awake to other avenues that might be open to me. My sister, rather randomly, suggested that I apply to a local college for a business lecturer role (part time). Out of interest rather than genuine enthusiasm I fired off a speculative email with no intention of following it up. By coincidence, Business Link had cut all of their courses and the college were looking for someone to deliver a course on Business Start Up; clearly I was the man!

Skip a bit – with precisely no teaching experience (but quite a lot of experience of starting businesses and helping start-ups) I was now delivering a 6 week course to students. The results were quite pleasing – I learned quite a lot and I believe that I helped them. The college is well respected but had one shortcoming (apart from the inevitable Public Sector confetti-factory of forms and pieces of paper to complete) their marketing was – and is – abysmal – a point raised by most of the delegates. I had suggested working with them to market the course but then, if I was going to put my time into marketing, did I really need the college? So an idea was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment